Friday, 25 December 2009

Christmas Greetings

My blogging has been seriously neglected of late, because of the usual Christmas busyness plus some rather exotic travel - more of which later. Once you get out of the habit of posting blogs I've discovered it's really hard to get back into it. So, in the spirit of getting back into blogging mode, and because it's Christmas, here are some pictures I took in late November at Edinburgh's Christmas market. It's the typical German market /big wheel arrangement which seems to be obligatory in British cities in December. I don't mean this in a dismissive sense. C and I are always childishly thrilled by the appearance of the little wooden booths and the fairground rides at this time of year and rush into town on the first possible evening after the market has opened, to munch on Bratkartoffel and slurp Gluehwein. We then have a go on the chairoplane or the merrygoround - usually with me muttering that "we're too old to be doing this!".

On my birthday at the end of November, we were having a rather wonderful, self-indulgent day in town (more of which later!) and spotted this strange aparition at the Christmas market.




These angels were 7 feet tall, with fantastic, white,  feathered wings. Best of all, they were on wheels! All of a sudden they would accelerate with no visible means of propulsion. They just glided along magically. Unfortunately the new whizzy i-phone does not have a video camera, unlike my old ordinary phone, so you will just have to take my word for the movement.


The angels swept through the Xmas market and fairground, and then with total disregard for road safety, they swooped out onto the street, joined the queue of traffic waiting at the lights, and then whizzed out onto Princes Street.




I love to think my council tax is being spent on such gloriously eccentric entertainment!

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Those angels look brilliant! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete