Thursday, 11 February 2010

Parcel pleasures

I have been lucky enough to receive a couple of parcels recently, containing exquisite handmade offerings. Adding to the joy of receiving such items is the fact that they were totally unexpected. They were both proper parcels - wrapped in brown paper and tied up with string (do I hear a song coming on ..??).

The first was in fact a wedding invitation. But not just any wedding invitation. These were lovingly hand-crafted by my friend S, she of the handmade bath products and violet creams. I think you will agree that this is the most beautiful wedding invitation ever.

Here it is, wrapped in its brown paper. There was also some fine, burnished string stuff around it, but unfortunately I've lost that.



And here it is. It's about 10 inches long. The colours in the photo have come out slightly darker and cruder than they are in reality. The palette is very delicate and 'antique rose'. Also, what you can't see from the photo is that it is quilted, with the pictures transferred onto silky fabric. The smaller pieces have little pictures of things that are significant for the happy couple.



Adorable isn't a word that comes often to my lips, but I think it is apt on this occasion.

Of course my immediate reaction was that S should set up in business making bespoke wedding invitations for wealthy people. I had to be restrained from rushing into a nearby, very chi-chi wedding shop and dangling it infront of them. S pointed out that hers is a very small wedding and she'd only had to make 6 of them. It would be a different proposition taking on a 150 guest society wedding. Fair enough.

The second parcel was hand delivered yesterday. At first I thought it was a premature Valentine's gift from C, based on his slightly defensive description of how it had arrived. Then I remembered that I was due a gift, as part of the Soul Quest workshops I have been attending over the last few months. This is a course that mixes 5rhythms Dance - which I have dabbled in on and off for the last 15 years (eek - is it that long?!) - with all sorts of expressive arts activities, such as painting, collage making, writing and performance. It is a heady experience, and one which I don't have time to go into right now. Maybe I will later. Anyway, at the last session we were all given the name of one of the other participants and asked to send them an anonymous present before the next session. A sort of secret soul santa. Unsurprisingly, I haven't got round to sending out my gift yet. Ahem. But this little parcel is my gift from an anonymous Soul Quester.


Here's the parcel - out of focus unfortunately, as I seem to be having trouble with the autofocus function on my camera, and frankly, life's too short to take all these photos again.


Inside, a little gold box tied with glittery ribbon.


In the box, wrapped in scarlet tissue, an egg-shaped casket, embellished with flowers, glitter, and pink and red designs.


Ta Da! The casket contains a rose silk pouch with a tiny, heart-shaped quartz crystal within. Aw. It's like something out of a fairy tale. The quartz crystal apparently: Activates and enhances pineal and pituitary glands. Stimulates brain function. Amplifies thought forms. Dispels negativity in one's energy fields.

Sounds perfect as I am currently suffering from a deep, winter lethargy and existential angst about life in general. Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

  1. Do they make those crystals in extra large?
    The invitation is such a lovely idea and could be adapted for all sorts of occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rattling On - do you need an extra large crystal for the aesthetic impact, or to amplify its supposed powers? I must admit I am feeling quite energised and positive today. But this might be because I have started writing my blog again, which seems to cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete